If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I make this take on Mollie Katzen's Vegetable-Walnut Pâté, set it out on the buffet table, and watch as guests gather around the dish-- and stay there, devouring the spread. Some vegetarians don't believe it doesn't have at least *some* liver in it; omnivores don't care one way or another. I make this dip/spread for myself, too, and use it on sandwiches. To make a vegan version, use an eggless mayonnaise (what? what?), and instead of the eggs, use about 1/2 cup of firm tofu that's been briefly steamed or microwaved for about 30 seconds. —vvvanessa
Makes about 2 cups
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup finely chopped white or yellow onion
- 2 cups green beans that have been cleaned, trimmed, and chopped into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme (or 1/2 teaspoon fresh)
- 1/4 cup lightly roasted walnuts
- 2 hard-boiled eggs, peeled
- 1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 2-3 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- fresh, chopped parsley or chives to garnish
- In a medium skillet over medium-high heat, sauté the olive oil and onions until the onions become transluscent and soft, about 5 minutes.
- Add in the green beans and thyme and contine to cook until the green beans soften and the onions begin to caramelize, about 8-10 minutes more.
- Remove the pan from the heat and allow the mixture to cool for about 15 minutes.
- Move the mixture to a deep bowl or to the bowl of a food processor fitted with a blade. Add in the nuts, eggs, mustard, mayonnaise, lemon juice, salt, and pepper. Blend with an immersion blender or the food processor until smooth.
- Transfer pâté to a serving dish. Garnish if desired. Serve with crackers, baguette, and/or crudité or use as a sandwich spread.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Walnuts
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Dip
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Open House Dish