If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I recently thought it would be fun to come up with a unique savory French toast. My idea was to make a cornbread packed with the goodness of shallots, pancetta, and sun-dried tomatoes, and then stuff slices of it with mascarpone cheese before frying it up as French toast. Now while I had a feeling the flavors would complement each other well, this was one of those experiments that I wasn’t completely confident would work. My main concern was about the syrup – I certainly wouldn’t consider the dish a true French toast if I didn’t enjoy syrup on top! So I hesitantly poured on some pure maple syrup and tentatively took a bite – then I promptly woofed down the entire slice standing in the kitchen without even sitting down at the table….yum! I would definitely serve this to company on a holiday and hope you enjoy the recipe! —Kerstin
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup chopped shallots
- 1/2 cup diced pancetta
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup 1% buttermilk
- 1/2 cup chopped sun-dried tomatoes
- To make the cornbread, heat oven to 350?F. Heat olive oil over medium low heat in a large nonstick skillet. Sauté shallots for 15 to 20 minutes, stirring frequently, or until deep brown and caramelized; remove shallots from pan. Add pancetta to the pan and cook over medium high heat for 6 to 8 minutes or until browned; remove from pan and drain on paper towels.
- Meanwhile, combine flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking soda, and salt in a medium bowl. Whisk together butter, eggs, and buttermilk in a large bowl. Stir the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients until most of the lumps are dissolved. Stir in the caramelized shallots, pancetta, and sun-dried tomatoes. Pour the batter into a greased 9-inch bread pan. Bake at 350?F for 40 to 45 minutes or until golden brown and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Cool for 5 minutes in the pan and then use a knife to cut around the edges. Turn pan over and remove the loaf of bread. Let cool completely, about 2 hours. Cut into 8 slices.
- 1/2 cup mascarpone cheese
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/3 cup pure maple syrup
- To make the French toast, spread 2 tablespoons mascarpone cheese on 4 slices of cornbread and place the other 4 slices on top to form 4 sandwiches. Whisk milk and egg together in a shallow dish and dip sandwiches in egg mixture. Heat butter over medium high heat in a large nonstick skillet. Place sandwiches in the pan and fry until golden brown on both sides, about 5 minutes. Drizzle maple syrup over each piece of stuffed French toast. Makes 8 servings.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Holiday Breakfast
Make 3-ingredient frozen yogurt at home
Never buy frozen yogurt again.
The invincible beer can chicken.
Know (and shop) the basics.
How to line a baking pan.
The chicest apron around.