Author Notes: I love making baked eggs, especially around the holidays. It's so easy, and you can make it in individual portions (ramekins) or for a crowd (skillet or casserole dish). - apartmentcooker - erinmcdowell
Food52 Review: The mushroom and leek base of these baked eggs is a heavenly flavor combination. It certainly doesn't hurt that they are sautéed in bacon grease. Add the crumbled bacon back in before cracking the eggs for a meaty, smokey treat. Cook the eggs until the whites are set, but the yolks are still runny. A little bit of bechamel is a nice, creamy touch to these satisfying eggs. – Stephanie - A&M
- 6 strips bacon, diced
- 1 bunch leeks, thinly sliced
- 1 basket mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 4 eggs
- milk or cream, as needed
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups milk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- lots of fresh ground black pepper
- pinch cayenne pepper
- fresh chopped basil, as needed
- In a large saute pan, cook the bacon over high heat until the fat is rendered and hte bacon is crisp, about 5 minutes.
- Remove the bacon from the pan, and set aside. Add the leeks and mushrooms and saute until tender, about 4-6 minutes.
- Add the garlic and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute more. Stir in the parmesan and season with salt and pepper. Top with a little bit of milk or cream.
- Lightly grease two individual casserole dishes (or 4 ramekins) and fill with the mushroom mixture. Crack the eggs on top, and season with salt and pepper.
- Bake in a 375 degree oven until the egg whites are set, but the yolks still giggle slightly (about 4-6 minutes).
- Meanwhile, make the bechamel. Melt the butter in a medium pot. Add the flour, and whisk to combine. Cook until the roux is golden, about 2-3 minutes.
- Slowly at the milk, and whisk to make sure there’s no lumps. Continue cooking until the sauce thickens. Season with salt, pepper, and cayenne.
- Pour the sauce over the finished baked eggs, and garnish with basil.
- This recipe is a Community Pick!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Holiday Breakfast