Author Notes: A lighter fare, gluten free quiche made with fresh garden veggies and a bit of cheese, in a brown rice crust. The crust is an adaptation of one found online (?), and tweaked from long grain to short grain rice with a change up of the type of cheese used in the crust to compliment the cheese used in the filling (my favorite is Gruyere or Jarlsberg). A small slice makes an excellent side to any meal. - lapadia
Makes 1 - 10 inch pie
CHEESY RICE CRUST
- Nonstick butter cooking spray
- 2 cups cooked and cooled short grain brown rice
- 1 large egg white
- 1/4 cup gruyere or jarlsberg - or your choice
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Spray a 10 inch pie pan with butter cooking spray and set aside. Mix together, the rice, cheese and 1 egg white. Press mixture over the bottom and sides of the pan. Bake uncovered, 5 minutes.
- Cool while preparing the filling.
- 1-1/2 cups sliced leeks
- 1 cup carrot, peeled and grated
- 1 small zucchini, grated, peel on, excessive moisture pressed out (I use a potato ricer) or just take the extra time to cook the water out (step 4) - I have done it both ways.
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- Salt to taste
- Pepper to taste
- 1 cup milk 1 or 2%
- 2 large eggs (for lighter option use 2 egg whites and 1 egg)
- 1 cup gruyere or jarlsberg cheese (or cheese of your choice)
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter (omit for lighter option)
- Optional – a couple teaspoons pimento
- Add the leeks, carrots and zucchini to a saucepan with vegetable broth.
- Cook uncovered over medium heat for 15 minutes.
- Salt & Pepper to your taste.
- Increase heat to medium high and cook, stirring until all liquid is evaporated.
- Transfer to mixing bowl. Add in the pimento (optional) and toss. Let cool for 5-10 minutes.
- In the meantime: Whisk the eggs together. Whisk the eggs and milk to incorporate.
- Pour the milk/egg mixture into the cooled vegetables. Pour mixture into the rice crust. Add the cheese.
- Dot with 2 tablespoons butter.
- Bake until the filling is puffed and set (about 30-35 minutes). Cool for 15 minutes before serving.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Root Vegetable Side
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Holiday Breakfast