If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Adapted from the recipe Irish Lace Cookies, Gourmet, October 1991. My friend Cathy travels to Ireland every so often, and brought me back a bag of Dunany Farm Extra Course Wholemeal Flour. I knew it would make a fabulous soda bread, but I wanted to explore other applications. It works very well in this cookie recipe, producing a super-crunchy, very thin, almost tuile-like delicate cookie. I added bitter cacao nibs and salty sea salt to balance the sugary sweetness of the cookie. I think these would be great with a cup of espresso, or shaped into cups and served with a scoop of good-quality gelato. - mrslarkin
Makes about 20 - 24
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, softened
- 3/4 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 1/4 cups extra-coarse wholemeal flour
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 cup cacao nibs
- fresh cracked sea salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Cream the butter and brown sugar until light and fluffy.
- Beat in the flour, water and vanilla. Stir in the wholemeal flour.
- With a small cookie scoop, place a scant 1" ball of dough on a parchment-lined sheet pan, 3 inches apart. They will spread a lot. I fit 5 cookies on each sheet pan. I bake two pans at a time.
- Bake for 10 - 12 minutes, rotating pans halfway through, until they are just firm enough to be moved with a metal spatula. Remove pans from oven and immediately sprinkle with sea salt.
- When they are still warm, but cool enough to handle, roll into cylinders using a dowel or the handle of a wooden spoon, or shape into a curved, clay roof-tile shape by just gently squeezing together the edges of the cookie. If the cookies harden up on the sheet pan, place back in the oven for 1 minute to soften.
- Transfer the cookies to racks and cool completely.
Dumplings, No Recipe Required
Dumplings for one, dumplings for all.
Shop Spring Cleaning
Gluten-Free Strawberry Tart
Eclectic Truffle Chocolate Bars
Cuban-inspired recipes to cook now.