If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: My youngest brother is home from college for the holidays. He mentioned to me that during finals week, all he drank was dirty chai – chai with a shot of espresso. I love chai and I love espresso, so I was pretty sure I would like a dirty chai. Add a shot of bourbon, and you have a hot toddy that will erase the troubles of the day, even if it does not put you to sleep. My chai recipe is inspired by one I found at http://www.veetea.com/site/articles/Masala-Chai-Recipes/, with ingredients I had on hand. Note: While green cardamom pods are typically used, I only had black cardamom pods which have a smokier, more pungent quality. I was curious how it would affect the flavor, and I enjoyed the overall balance with the espresso and bourbon. - gingerroot - gingerroot
Food52 Review: This starts out as a fragrant and mildly indulgent chai -- it's made with half-n-half -- and then right before serving you sling in some espresso and bourbon, and suddenly it's a drink with purpose and conviction. - The Editors
- For the Chai:
- 8 ounces half and half
- 4 ounces water
- 1 cinnamon stick, broken in half
- 2 black cardamom pods, crushed with a mortar and pestle
- 5-6 pink peppercorns, crushed with a mortar and pestle
- 1 1/2 inch piece of fresh ginger, peeled and flattened with the flat side of a large knife
- 2 tablespoons Turbinado sugar
- 2 sachets of organic whole leaf black tea, preferably Assam
- For the Dirty Toddy:
- 2 ounces espresso (I used Stumptown Roasters Hairbender)
- 2 ounces Knob Creek, or other good quality bourbon
- Combine half and half, water, spices and sugar in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil and simmer for 8 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat. Add black tea sachets and steep for 5 minutes. Remove tea sachets, strain out spices and split chai between two pre-warmed teacups. Add one ounce of espresso and one ounce of bourbon to each teacup. Sit back and enjoy.
- This recipe is a Wildcard Contest Winner!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Coffee
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Cardamom
- This recipe was entered in the contest for A & M's Annual Smackdown / Your Best Hot Toddy