Author Notes: This was a family favorite while I was growing up. Either my sister or I gave this soup its name, because 1) it's soup that 2) is also a dinner that 3)makes it own side-dish. It is MUCH better the second day, when the soup thickens up and you can peel off the excess layer of fat that solidifies on top. - ohyoucook
- 1 teaspoon canola oil
- 6 pieces flanken (short ribs)
- 8 cups water
- 1 6 oz. cellophane "tube" Lima Bean and Barley Soup Mix
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled and quartered
- salt to taste, if necessary
- In a large pot, heat oil over medium-high heat. When hot, add flanken and brown on all sides (about 2-3 minutes per side). You can omit this step, but the searing adds flavor.
- Carefully add water and the contents of the tube of Lima Bean and Barley Soup mix (reserve small seasoning packet). Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low and simmer for 2 hours, stirring occasionally.
- Add contents of small packet from soup mix along with potatoes. Continue to simmer for another 10 minutes.
- Remove from heat. If you are not serving immediately, let stand for 1 hour to cool down, then refrigerate for 8 hours or overnight.
- The next day, peel off and discard layer of fat. Reheat over medium heat, almost to a boil. Then remove flanken and potatoes to a covered dish; set aside and keep warm.
- Taste and add salt, if necessary. Ladle soup into bowls and serve. Serve flanken and potatoes as the entree.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Short Ribs