If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Tired of your same-old, same-old breakfast porridge? Try this. You can use regular butter and brown sugar, but jaggery and ghee will make it even better – especially if you cook the butter long enough to allow the milk solids to caramelize a bit, giving the ghee that wonderful brown-butter flavor. Or, if you prefer this vegan-style, substitute a teaspoon or two of smooth almond butter. This recipe can easily be doubled or quadrupled. Any leftover cashew and cumin mixture should be refrigerated if not used within a couple of days. Enjoy!! ;o) —AntoniaJames
- 2/3 cup cooked whole oat groats or steel cut oats
- 2/3 cup cooked sweet brown or brown jasmine rice (or any other rice or rice + grain blend)
- 1/3 cup raw unsalted whole cashews
- 1 ½ teaspoons whole cumin seeds
- 1-2 teaspoons smooth almond butter, or 2 teaspoons ghee, or more or less to taste
- 1 ½ teaspoons jaggery, or more or less to taste
- 2 tablespoons sultanas (optional)
- Tiny pinch of ground cinnamon (optional)
- Salt to taste, or none at all, as you prefer
- Toast the cashews in a heavy skillet until light and somewhat dark brown. Remove from the heat immediately and coarsely chop, while warm, with a large knife.
- Toast the cumin seeds in the same skillet just until fragrant. Remove immediately and crush to a coarse powder using a mortar and pestle, or grind briefly in an electric spice mill. Or, leave them whole, if you like.
- Warm the oats and rice together with a tablespoon or two of water in a small, heavy saucepan or in the microwave, until rather hot. Stir well.
- Add all of the remaining ingredients and stir again to combine thoroughly.
- Serve hot, with the best Darjeeling tea you can find.
- Enjoy! ;o)
- NB: I eat this for lunch, too, stirring in leftover roasted broccoli or cauliflower, which I’ve warmed separately. This can also be made with leftover barley, quinoa, couscous, farro, etc.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Weekday Breakfast Recipe
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Cereal
A Different Kind of Tomato Dish
Cook a whole fish the traditional Tuscan way
A different kind of tomato dish.
Did you say vacation or cocktail?
Know (and shop) the basics.
Flower arrangements for your style.
The chicest apron around.