Author Notes: Tired of your same-old, same-old breakfast porridge? Try this. You can use regular butter and brown sugar, but jaggery and ghee will make it even better – especially if you cook the butter long enough to allow the milk solids to caramelize a bit, giving the ghee that wonderful brown-butter flavor. Or, if you prefer this vegan-style, substitute a teaspoon or two of smooth almond butter. This recipe can easily be doubled or quadrupled. Any leftover cashew and cumin mixture should be refrigerated if not used within a couple of days. Enjoy!! ;o) - AntoniaJames
- 2/3 cup cooked whole oat groats or steel cut oats
- 2/3 cup cooked sweet brown or brown jasmine rice (or any other rice or rice + grain blend)
- 1/3 cup raw unsalted whole cashews
- 1 ½ teaspoons whole cumin seeds
- 1-2 teaspoons smooth almond butter, or 2 teaspoons ghee, or more or less to taste
- 1 ½ teaspoons jaggery, or more or less to taste
- 2 tablespoons sultanas (optional)
- Tiny pinch of ground cinnamon (optional)
- Salt to taste, or none at all, as you prefer
- Toast the cashews in a heavy skillet until light and somewhat dark brown. Remove from the heat immediately and coarsely chop, while warm, with a large knife.
- Toast the cumin seeds in the same skillet just until fragrant. Remove immediately and crush to a coarse powder using a mortar and pestle, or grind briefly in an electric spice mill. Or, leave them whole, if you like.
- Warm the oats and rice together with a tablespoon or two of water in a small, heavy saucepan or in the microwave, until rather hot. Stir well.
- Add all of the remaining ingredients and stir again to combine thoroughly.
- Serve hot, with the best Darjeeling tea you can find.
- Enjoy! ;o)
- NB: I eat this for lunch, too, stirring in leftover roasted broccoli or cauliflower, which I’ve warmed separately. This can also be made with leftover barley, quinoa, couscous, farro, etc.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Weekday Breakfast Recipe
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Cereal