If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I work with a Jewish Deli here in Philadelphia, called Delicatessen, I developed this recipe as a variation of our Pastrami Mac & Cheese for National Pastrami Day (Jan 13!)it is inspired by my friend Adam Gertler who made it the first time a few years ago, using his own hand made Pastrami. It is ridiculously indulgent...but soo good. The very non-gourmet addition of American Cheese helps maintain the texture, the added emulsifiers keep it creamy.
The pic is from our appearance on our local morning show The 10! Show. - Aliwaks
- 1 Box Elbow Macaroni (1#)
- 3 cups Light Cream (or Heavy)
- 1.5 Cup Shredded Gruyere
- 1.5 Cup Shredded Monterey Jack
- 1 cup Yellow American Cheese, chopped in to bits
- 2 tablespoons Grainy Mustard
- 1 tablespoon Smoked paprika
- 2 cups Cubed pastrami (medium dice)
- 4 slices toasted seeded rye
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- 1.5 cups drained sauerkraut
- 3/4 cup additional- Shredded gruyere or if you can find it Dry Jack (pref Vella)
- 1/4 cup Russian Dressing
- Butter Rye Topping (can be done day ahead) Grind rye toast in food processor to medium fine crumb Mix with melted butter, set aside Boil 4 quarts heavily salted water Add pasta Bring water back up to boil, boil 4 minutes Pasta should be slightly less than al dente…not soft with the tiniest bit of white visible when you bite into it Reserve 1.5 cups pasta water Drain pasta
- Boil 4 quarts heavily salted water Add pasta Bring water back up to boil, boil 4 minutes Pasta should be slightly less than al dente…not soft with the tiniest bit of white visible when you bite into it Reserve 1.5 cups pasta water Drain pasta
- In same pot add heavy cream, bring to a simmer over a medium flame
- Let cook a few minutes until reduces slightly, adjust flame to low Whisk in mustard & paprika
- Add cheese in 3 parts whisking each time to incorporate Sauce should be creamy, if it is too thick add reserved pasta water slowly until velvet-y Gently stir in pasta Add more pasta water if needed End result should be a smooth slightly liquid sauce; the pasta will absorb the liquid as it bakes.
- Butter or Spray an ovenproof casserole dish Pour in Pasta/Cheese mixture in to prepared dish Gently stir in pastrami Strew Sauerkraut evenly across the top Sprinkle Reserved Gruyere/Dry Jack over top Cover with Buttered Rye Crumbs Bake @ 350 till bubbly (@ 20 - 30 minutes) Let rest 5-10 minutes before serving Drizzle Russian Dressing across top to serve
- Great sides include: Cole Slaw, Broccoli Salad, Cucumber Salad or Just Big Green Crunchy Salad..any thing with lots of crunch and acid to balance out the richness
Dumplings, No Recipe Required
Dumplings for one, dumplings for all.
Shop Spring Cleaning
Gluten-Free Strawberry Tart
Eclectic Truffle Chocolate Bars
Cuban-inspired recipes to cook now.