Author Notes: This isn't a traditional Polish salad, but the cabbage and kabanos are everyday Polish foods and were staples in my house growing up. Kabanos is available in pretty much any polish deli or grocery store, but if you can't find it, a cooked andouille sausage would be similar. - VanessaS
- 1/2 head of savoy cabbage, cored and very thinly sliced
- 1 Gala apple, quartered and very thinly sliced
- 4 ounces kabanos (or other kielbasa-like sausage)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 shallot, minced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 5 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 2 teaspoons dijon mustard
- Place cabbage and apple in a large bowl. Set aside. Slice kabanos into 1/4 inch thick half moons.
- Heat oil in small saute pan over medium heat. Add kabanos and cook until browned, about 5 minutes. Remove kabanos with a slotted spoon and add to bowl of cabbage and apples, leaving behing oil in pan.
- Add shallot to pan and cook over medium heat until softened, about 2 minutes. Add garlic and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add vinegar, cook for 30 seconds and turn off heat. Stir in maple syrup and mustard and toss apple/cabbage mixture with dressing. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Salad with Apples