Author Notes: I am allergic to all tree and ground nuts and that includes most oils and their byproducts. Sherry vinegar provides a nutty quality that I can't experience in any other way. The shallots and orange juice add a sweetness and brightness that complement the apples and slightly bitter fennel bulb. - niksnacks
For the salad
- 5 ounces fennel bulb, sliced
- 1 Granny Smith apple, peeled, sliced thin
- 1/4 cup fennel fronds
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 shallot, finely diced
- 1 1/2 tablespoon sherry vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 3 1/2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- Whisk together sherry vinegar, chopped garlic, Dijon mustard and extra virgin olive oil in a small bowl and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Toss sliced fennel, Granny Smith apple slices, fennel fronds, and orange juice with the vinaigrette and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Salad with Apples