Author Notes: It all came to me in a flash of inspiration: Apple - Bacon - Cumin Cheese. I've always been a cheese and apple babe. Its just the way life goes. I love it when lime is back in town - to get the best from her - use your long forgotten microplane so she can shed some of her fragrant citrus aurantifolia. Oh what a dish. Simple, as ABC. Cause I live in Holland and they sometimes call us Cheeseheads. - Kitchen Butterfly
ABC with lime cream dressing
- 2 apples, golden delicious or Jonagolds, washed & dried
- 12 rashers (smoky) bacon, fried till crisp and then left to cool and then roughly chopped
- 75-100g young (cumin) gouda or edam cheese, cut into small cubes
- 1 teaspoon whole cumin, lightly toasted if you can't find cumin cheese
- 1/3 cup of currants or dried blueberries
- 1/3 cup of pecans, chopped
- To serve, large lettuce leaves for cups
- Lime cream dressing (recipe follows)
- Remove the apple core and chop into small chunks. Place in a bowl. Add the bacon, cumin cheese, currant and pecans and toss till well combined. If you can't find cumin cheese, add the toasted cumin seeds when mixing in the bacon and other ingredients.
- Drizzle with dressing and stir again to combine. Scoop into lettuce cups and enjoy
Lime cream dressing
- 2 tablespoons of (Hellmans) mayonnaise
- 1/3 - 1/2 cup of pouring/single cream
- Microplaned zest of 1 lime
- Salt and freshly ground coarse black pepper, to taste
- Put the mayonnaise in a small bowl. Whisk in the cream till you get a pouring consistency which should be a bit thicker than the cream.
- Add the lime zest to the cream mixture and stir in. Season to taste with salt and black pepper. Ready for some apples!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Salad with Apples