If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I love soups as a rule, both eating them as a meal or snack and making them. Soups are filling and provide warmth on a tought day, and are fun to make because you can constantly play around with the seasonings and flavors until you have something amazing. Mushroom soup is one of my favorites to make because I don't often get to eat it in restaurants as most restaurants use cream or milk, which I can't eat. However my version isn't dairy-free - I do splurge on a bit of butter. This soup isn't fancy but it is rich and delicious, and captures the earthiness of the wild mushrooms. —JackieK
Makes 1 quart
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 1/2 pound button mushrooms, stemmed and roughly chopped
- 1/2 pound mixed wild mushrooms, stemmed and roughtly chopped (try shitake, morels, oyster, etc.)
- 3 sprigs fresh parsley
- 4 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 dash fresh lemon juice
- Melt the butter in a large pot over medium heat. Once melted, add the chopped onions and sweat while stirring until soft and translucent, about 10 minutes.
- Stir in the chopped mushrooms and cook, stirring often, until soft, about 10 minutes longer. Add the parsley sprigs and the broth. Increase the heat to high until the broth just comes to a boil, then decrease the heat to low and simmer uncovered for 1 hour.
- Remove the parsley sprigs and discard. Working in small batches, puree the soup until smooth but don't strain. Return the soup to the pot and season with salt, pepper and lemon juice. Adjust seasonings to taste.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Mushroom Soup
No Laffy Matter
How to make peanut butter salt water taffy
How to make salt water taffy.
Independence Day, the no-recipe way.
Free shipping! Use code FIREWORKS.
Just for the halibut.
Savor the season.