If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Don’t be scared by the fuchsia color of this dip. The sweet-earthiness of the beets, the sharp bite of the garlic, and the nuttiness of the almonds more than makes up for any phobia of brightly colored food. And it’s well worth it. I promise.
Living in Israel I find myself seeking out dips more than ever. Since I always have a stash of fresh pita I’m left wondering: what else can I dip that in? While hummus never gets old, variety (and garlic) is the spice of life. It’s good to mix things up.
Inspired by a recipe from Bon Appetit, this recipe couldn’t be easier. Roast a beet and combine it with chickpeas, roasted garlic, almonds, and red wine vinegar. For a sharper flavor use raw garlic, and for an even speedier dip boil the beets. Serve with (homemade) pita chips. Done. —kmartinelli
Makes about 2 cups
- 1 large beet
- 1 cup drained, canned chickpeas
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup slivered almonds
- 5 cloves garlic, roasted
- 1 clove garlic, raw
- 1 1/2 tablespoons red wine vinegar, plus more to taste
- Salt and pepper
- Wrap the beet in tin foil and roast in a 350F oven for 1 hour, or until tender.
- Let cool, remove skin, and roughly chop.
- Put the beet in a food processor and add the chickpeas, oil, almonds, and garlic. Blend until smooth.
- Add the red wine vinegar and blend well. Season with salt and pepper, and more red wine vinegar to taste.
- Serve with pita chips (to make homemade, simply slice pita and bake until crispy). Vegetables, potato chips, and pretzels also work. Or spread on crostini.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Picnic Dish
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Dip
Genius Recipes for a Genius Labor Day
Beans! Pimento cheese! pies!
Genius recipes for a genius Labor Day.
Ways to a money-saving kitchen.
Alice Waters's favorite tools.
The Hudson Valley's where it's at.
Get your shine on.