If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Similar to the quick version of this I posted a while ago, but this has you cook the rice and oats together with some bay leaves and cinnamon sticks. Excellent stirred into any kind of dal, too. Be sure to use a fragrant, nutty ghee for this. Or, use coconut oil and maple syrup for a vegan treat. Enjoy! ;o) - AntoniaJames
Makes 4 - 6 somewhat small but filling servings
- 1 tablespoon cumin seeds
- 1/2 cup steel cut oats
- 1/2 cup brown basmati (do not rinse it)
- Pinch of salt
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 small cinnamon sticks
- 1 cup raw cashews
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil (or ghee, for a non-vegan version)
- 2 tablespoons of jaggery or maple syrup, or more or less to taste
- Toast the cumin seeds just until fragrant, then immediately remove them from the skillet and into a bowl. Coarsely crush them using a mortar and pestle.
- Put half the crushed cumin seeds in a small, heavy, lidded saucepan with the oats, rice, salt, bay leaves, cinnamon sticks and three cups of water. Bring to a boil, then immediately turn the flame down very low, and cover the pan tightly.
- Allow it to cook for 30 minutes undisturbed. Turn the heat off but do not remove the lid for at least another 15 minutes.
- While the oats and rice are cooking, toast the cashews until a mottled light and dark brown color. Chop them coarsely with a chef's knife.
- When ready to serve, remove the bay leaves and cinnamon sticks. Stir half of the cashew pieces and a tablespoon of coconut oil or ghee into the pot of oats and rice, and stir well.
- Warm the remaining oil or ghee and toss the cashew nuts and remaining cumin.
- Serve the porridge topped with the cumin-scented cashews. Allow each person to stir in jaggery or maple syrup, to taste.
- Nice with a pot of freshly brewed Darjeeling.
- Enjoy!! ;o)
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Cereal
Not Your Average (Garlic Cheddar) Biscuit
Yes, you need another biscuit recipe.
Why You Need Yet Another Biscuit Recipe.
Fresh beer, anywhere.
9 Ways to Celebrate the Royal Baby
What to Do With Marjoram
Go play outside!