Author Notes: I generally shy away from recipes that use copious amounts of olive oil, but seafood salad is an exception because it just tastes so good and olive oil-y. I like to serve each portion mounded a on leaf of radicchio. - VanessaS - VanessaS
Food52 Review: This is a keeper! I served this on a small bed of arugula and it was really wonderful. It is light and fresh, and I loved the citrus against the briny capers and olives. The fennel gave it a fantastic crunch -- I might even add a bit more of that next time. Beyond the flavor, which was great, it was so pretty. It also comes together pretty quickly. A great dish for a beautiful spring day. - inthebow - inthebow
Serves 4, as a first course
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 pound small squid, bodies sliced into 1/4 inch rings
- 18 medium shrimp
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 2 garlic cloves, very thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 tablespoon sherry vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 pinch freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 small fennel bulb
- 2 tablespoons parsley, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon small capers
- 3 oranges, supremed
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced red onion (cut from a quarter of a whole red onion)
- 20 manzanilla olives, halved
- Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a medium saute pan over medium-high heat. Add garlic and pepper flakes and cook, stirring, until garlic begins to brown around the edges. Add the squid and cook until opaque, about 1 minute. Remove squid to a shallow bowl.
- Heat another tablespoon of olive oil in the saute pan. Add the shrimp and saute until just cooked through, about 3 minutes. Add to the bowl with the squid, along with 1/4 cup of olive oil, sherry vinegar, salt and pepper. Cover and refrigerate for two hours.
- Cut the fennel into 1/4 inch by 1 inch batons. Add fennel and remaining ingredients to shrimp and squid mixture and gently toss.
- This recipe is a Community Pick!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Citrus Recipe
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Squid or Octopus Recipe
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Citrus & Olives