Author Notes: I'm also a blogger with Charcutepalooza, so when Food52 posted this week's contest, I knew I had to make a salad to complement the pancetta and comté quiche I made for both a Superbowl party and the Charcutepalooza February challenge. I love orange and olive salads. I like the color of black olives, although my favorite for taste is the picholine. Since I live in a very rural area in north Idaho, I was lucky enough to receive a jar of mixed "French" olives for Christmas. This became the perfect moment to enjoy those olives. I know that some are picholines and some are niçoise, but other than that, it's a gamble. At least they still had flavor. I put several in the salad. I used both navel and blood oranges because I cannot resist the color. And, at the moment, we have Maya sweet onions at the local grocery store, so that became my onion of choice. Actually, they are sweet, but they don't hold a candle to our almost local WallaWallas. - Linda's Kitchen
For the salad
- 1 navel orange, suprèmed
- 1 blood orange, suprèmed
- French olives, to taste, pitted
- 1/4 Sweet onion, thinly sliced
- Romaine lettuce
- Salt and pepper to taste
Spanish Sherry Vinaigrette for Two
- 1 tablespoon Spanish sherry vinegar
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon juice from orange suprèmes
- Suprème both oranges by removing all membranes, skin, and pith. Many videos are available online. If you're relatively skillful with a knife, hold the peeled orange in your hand, over a bowl, while cutting out the membranes. This saves the juice for the salad.
- Using the flat blade of a knife, push down on the olives to remove the pits.
- Very thinly slice about a quarter of a sweet onion.
- With your hands, tear enough romaine lettuce for two into your preferred bite sized pieces, add salt and pepper to taste. Mix the simple sherry dressing, add to lettuce, and toss.
- Top with some navel and blood orange suprème segments, olives, and onion.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Citrus & Olives