Author Notes: A delicious variation of this recipe is you can split the single layer in two and fill it with whipping cream with a bit of sugar and a dash of brandy. - Cuoca Marchisio
Makes 1 cake
- 1 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup fruity olive oil
- 3/4 cups milk
- 1 1/2 tablespoon orange zest
- 1/2 cup sliced, toasted almonds
- 2 tablespoons orange marmalade
- 2-3 tablespoons confectioner's sugar
- Pre-heat the oven to 350 F. Line a cake pans with parchment paper.
- Whisk together first four ingredients.
- Whisk eggs and sugar together for 1 minute. Add oil, milk, and zest. Add egg mixture to flour mixture. Bake for 25 minutes, and cool for 20 minutes. Toast (and candy if desired) almonds for 8 minutes.
- To serve: coat the sides and 1 inch rim with marmalade and almonds. (You might need to warm the marmalade with a little water in the microwave for a few seconds so it spreads more easily). Dust the top with the confectioner's sugar.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Citrus & Olives