If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: The popover recipe here is adapted from Damon Lee Fowler's New Southern Baking - but the combo and the bacon-veggie sautee are all mine. The bacon I used was homemade: I cured it for the February Charcutepalooza "Salt Cure" challenge. - ArchaeoCook
- 1 cup sifted flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup whole milk
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Butter a muffin tin and put it in the oven to heat.
- Whisk flour and salt together. Beat the eggs in a separate medium bowl until they lighten a little, then whisk in half the milk.
- Gradually mix the flour in with a wooden spoon, then add the rest of the milk. Don’t use a whisk; the batter may be a little lumpy. Pour the batter into the heated muffin tin; each cup should be about two-thirds full.
- Bake in the center of the oven for 15 minutes. Without opening the oven, lower the heat to 350 degrees and bake for another 20 minutes until the popovers are golden brown. Serve piping hot!
Bacon and Brussel Sprout Filing
- 2 cups chopped brussel spouts
- 1 cup thick-cut bacon lardons
- 1 medium shallot, chopped
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Blanch the lardons for 1 minute in simmering water. Drain the bacon and reserve about 1/2 c. water.
- Heat a skillet on a medium flame and add the shallot. Sautee until it starts to turn translucent, then add the bacon. Fry the bacon until it just starts to brown on the edges.
- Add the sprouts and cook until they start to caramelize a little. Add the reserved blanching water and braise until the sprouts are tender. Season to taste and serve in the middle of steaming popovers. Add a fried egg if you feel like it...
Have a Brew-ti-ful Day
Shop our newest caffeinated collection.
Everything you need for coffee and tea.
Your Memorial Day menu made easy.
A list of things we like.
Home & design links we love.
Add flower power to your espresso.