Author Notes: Vary the vegetables if you like. Bok choy, water chestnuts, and baby corn would make a truly Chinese dish. Frozen or fresh corn and peas or red/yellow/orange bell peppers would be really pretty too. If you don't have any leftover rice, make some fresh, but plan in advance so it has a chance to refrigerate for at least a few hours or even overnight. You don't want to start with warm fresh rice for this recipe. - Ordinary Blogger (Rivki Locker)
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 onion, sliced in rings
- 1 bell pepper, sliced
- 4 scallions, white and light green parts only, sliced thin
- 4 button mushrooms, sliced
- 3-4 stalks celery, sliced
- 4 cups leftover brown rice (start with about 1 1/2 cups raw)
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
- Heat the canola oil in a large skillet or wok. Add the onion and saute for about 10 minutes on medium heat, till soft.
- Add the remaining vegetables and cook for another 10 minutes or so, till warmed through and softened.
- Add the rice and mix well (or break it up with your hands). Cook, stirring from time to time, for about 10 minutes or until the rice is warmed through.
- Remove the rice from the heat and stir in the soy sauce and sesame oil. Serve immediately.