Author Notes: I worked in a restaurant in Florence and we used to make Fillo Dough baskets for the entrées, which we filled with a variety of sauces, depending on the season. Every day I would bake 50 baskets so they were always crunchy and fresh. They keep well in a plastic box with a tight filling lid so you can bake them ahead - they keep well for 3 or 4 days. You can also make them quite small and serve as an hors d'oeuvres when your guests arrive. This recipe came to my mind for the fig contest, we all enjoyed it yesterday evening. - Maria Teresa Jorge
Fillo dough baskets
- 3 14" x 18" Fillo Sheets
- 2 tablespoons butter melted
Fig and Gorgonzola Salad
- 4 figs fresh
- 4 tablespoons Gorgonzola crumbled
- 1 tablespoon honey, light and runny
- 8 salad leaves
- 10 cherry tomatoes sliced across
- 12 grapes, cut in the middle and seeds removed
- Balsamic Glaze
- 4 tablespoons Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- For the Fillo baskets: Pre-heat the oven to 400ºF with rack in the middle position.
- Melt the butter. Take a Fillo sheet and butter it with a brush. Put on top the second Fillo sheet and butter with a brush. Add the third Fillo sheet and butter it with a brush. Cut the sheets in 4 pieces (making a cross), you'll get 4 rectangles.
- Line 4 small pastry cases with the 4 rectangles of fillo sheets. Bake until golden brown (about 8 to 10 minutes).
- Put the gorgonzola cheese in the freezer to harden it a bit so you can crumble it easier.
- Line a baking tray with parchment paper.
- Cut the stems of the figs, cut them in a cross leaving the bottom holding the 4 quarters of the fig. Put the figs in the baking tray and drizzle with a little honey. Bake for 15 minutes. This can be made the day ahead.
- Put one fig in each phillo basket. Crumble the gorgonzola cheese, sprinkle over the figs and put in the oven until melted (8 minutes).
- Plate your fillo baskets in a plate, decorate with the salad, cherry tomatoes. Drizzle some olive oil over the salad. tomatoes and grapes, sprinkle with salt and freshly ground pepper. Decorate the Fillo baskets with balsamic glaze. Serve immediately.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Fig Recipe