For our Provisions shop, we search for the best and most beautiful things for our kitchen and home. And since we like to think outside the box, we’re showing you all the different ways to use some of our favorite pieces.
Today: An ode to the Mason jar. Feel the same way? Tell us how you use them in the comments for a chance to win a new set!
It’s no secret that we love Mason jars. Of course we like them because they’re pretty -- especially in bright blue and green glass -- but we also like them for their endless uses, from canning to pantry organization to brown bag lunch containers.
Because we're always looking to spread the Mason jar gospel, here are our favorite six ways to use them.
- As a vase: Humble, everyday objects like jars make flowers look even more spectacular.
- For a DIY baking mix: Take any recipe for a muffin, cake, or quick bread, and layer the dry ingredients into a jar. Store it, and whenever you’re ready to bake, just pour it into a bowl and add your wet ingredients. Because we believe that cake should always be just one step away.
- Pack a perfect salad: Bringing salads to work can be tricky, so we like to layer each element in a Mason jar, then toss it in a bowl when we’re ready to eat. Start with the heaviest ingredients on the bottom (like radishes or root vegetables) and end with the lightest (greens and croutons) on top. Either bring your salad dressing in a separate jar, or use a plastic jar adaptor to keep it stored in a separate compartment under the lid.
- Mix up a cocktail: This one is simple. You don’t need any fancy cocktail equipment to make a very good drink. Add ingredients, top the jar, and shake! Want to make things even easier? Use the Mason Shaker.
- Make salad dressing: A jar is your best friend for mixing up dressings. Just throw everything together and shake -- this will help your salad dressings emulsify. Bonus: It's a good arm workout.
- Light things up! We saved the best for last. Fill Mason jars with a votive candle and a little sand to hold them in place, then hang them from trees or place them on tables to light an outdoor dinner party.
We want to know your best and most creative ways to use Mason jars! Tell us in the comments by July 4 -- we'll be giving away a set of green Ball heritage jars to one lucky commenter. For another chance to win, show us your best ways on Instagram, too.