Cleaning a microplane grater

Seriously, I know I have better things to do than pick tiny shreds of ginger out of my microplane grater. There's got to be some trick, some ingenious thing I haven't thought of. Along the lines of running rice through your spice grinder to clean it. I'm never getting the last 8 minutes of my life back!!!

Rachael is a trusted home cook.

asked almost 7 years ago

vvvanessa

soak it in hot water to get the ginger good and loose. i firmly rub the scrubby side of a sponge on both sides of the grater in the direction of the blades (which is to say not against the blades). sometimes it helps to do this with the microplane submerged in the hot water.

Panfusine

a baby/toddler toothbrush works!

Niknud
Niknud

Rachael is a trusted home cook.

See, I KNEW it! I'm never going to doubt the power of Food52! Thanks Panfusine and vvvanessa. This is a genius section of the website and SUCH an invaluable resource for me.

bigpan

I too use a toothbrush for little picky things to clean.

Act preemptively. Put a layer of plastic wrap around the grater before you grate.
Everything should lift off when you're finished.

em-i-lis
em-i-lis

Emily is a trusted source on General Cooking.

Dishwasher!

Another comment. Consider ditching the grater. Get a "wood rasp" cheep from a hardware store, much eaiser to clean...just let it dry out and brush then wash.

For ginger, I use a Japaneese ginger grater. A cheap one, metal with little teeth and a indention at the bottom to collect the liquid. A it cleans up very easily with a spray of water.
http://www.gourmetsleuth...
Oroshi-gane
I find the little collection trough for the liquid of grating ginger especially useful.

Esther Plume

I rinse mine as soon as I've finished using it, and use a brush in the direction of the grater to get rid of any litte bits. I think it's when you leave things to dry out on the grater that you have a problem, as by then it's crusted on... I'm not a "wash as you go" person for anything else in the kitchen, apart from graters!