Recommendations to use up spices

Cleaning out the spice rack, and I need suggestions for using up chinese five spice powder and juniper berries (not necessarily together).

asked by Meatballs&Milkshakes about 5 years ago

I love 5-spice powder. Try using it in a streusel topping for a fruit crisp or to replace cinnamon or other "warm" spices in a recipe for baked goods. I'd consider using the juniper berries to infuse a simple syrup for cocktails or sodas, maybe with some cucumber and citrus. I've also had a really delicious braised pork shoulder with juniper berries.

Meatballs&Milkshakes

Thanks hardlikearmour! Love the simple syrup idea, as we've just gotten into cocktails more.... and the fruit crisp topping sounds fab, once the stone fruit starts coming out at the greenmarket I will definitely try that...

healthierkitchen

5 spice is delicious with cherries

I just had these AMAZEBALLS pickled blackberries (served with some fancy pantsy pate) that were in a mild pickle but with a distinct whiff of juniper. I intend to reverse engineer them soon ...
I use 5 spicy in my Texas Sweet Heat Caramel Pretzles and also in jams when I want a spicy version (plum in particular)

Community Editor at Food52

Wow, those blackberries sound incredible!

I LOVE 5 spice powder with chocolate. here's an easy recipe for spicy chocolate cake: http://food52.com/recipes... (The salt on the top got mixed reviews, so go easy on it.)

savorthis

For our wedding we gave out packets of the five spices in whole form with a recipe for a slow cooked chicken. You could easily dredge the chicken with five spice and flour, brown, then braise. I also love a five spice squid or quail. hardlikearmour, that suggestion for the juniper and cucumber sounds great and refreshing....I will have to try that during this hot weather!

Kristen W.
Kristen W.

Kristen W. is a trusted home cook.

Toss chicken wings in some flour with the five spice powder mixed in, broil or roast on high heat until crispy, then toss in a honey ginger soy hot pepper sauce mixture, then stick back under broiler for a minute or two for yummy Asian style wings!

Kristen W.
Kristen W.

Kristen W. is a trusted home cook.

I also had a five spice ice cream once that was pretty good.

Make some bathtub gin with the juniper berries, http://www.vietworldkitchen...

ZombieCupcake

http://food52.com/recipes... This is one of my favorite salmon recipes to use up Chinese 5 spice

I basically use juniper berries for one thing: gravlax. Heaven. Here's the excellent Molly O'Neill's version of Aquavit's recipe, which uses gin: http://www.nytimes.com... and another using vodka and brown sugar (closer to how I do): http://www.foodandwine...

Elizabeth Rex

You could use up some of your juniper by making mock aquavit or infused schnapps.

I'll defer on the five spice suggestions to the other experts. But I do love using juniper berries with braised pork or even better, wild boar. Wild boar you can find farm raised now. But you could also cut up country style pork ribs. I would do a braise with basic aromatics plus tomatoes, fennel seed or pollen, peppercorn, crushed juniper berry and so on. A splash of wine is good in there.

Meatballs&Milkshakes

Thanks everyone! Lots of great suggestions!!!

Bevi

Use a bit of 5 spice powder to perk up either a homemade blueberry or peach jam, and also chutney.