🔕 🔔

What is a good recipe that uses nutritional yeast?

asked by Scott L over 6 years ago

Here are 12 from Food52:

My breading mix is 1/2 nutritional yeast, 1/2 cornmeal, dry mustard, chili powder, black pepper, garlic granules (dry). I usually use it to dip and fry slices of tofu, and have also used it for green tomatoes and eggplant slices -- uses are potentially endless. I keep it in a container in the freezer so I can dip what I'm making, then return it to the freezer, without having to dirty a dish, or waste what's left. We love it -- usually to make a sandwich filling.

For some reason the link from drbabs didn't work, but I used the 'search recipes' on the top right and got the list. As a retailer selling yeast for almost 30 years, these recipes hit the high points -- especially popcorn, eggless salad, and tofu scramble. What I don't see there is smoothies: yeast is a popular add-in, for an energy boost from the B complex vitamins and trace minerals.
A good source for recipes is The Farm Vegetarian Cookbook (from The Farm, Summertown TN. My kids grew up on their Macaroni & "Cheez." As they do, be sure to use the yellow flakes from Red Star, 'good tasting yeast.' It has a 'cheesy' taste, compared to the brown powder ('nutty taste'). (Some people disagree with me...)