Urgent hotline questions & FOOD52

Hey there Hotliners! We're wondering if anyone would be interested in receiving email notifications when "urgent" hotline questions are asked? The FOOD52 staff already receives these emails, so you won't be alone(!), but we'd love to start thinking about expanding our pool of people who like to help those with burning questions! Let us know in the comments below if you're interested, and we may be in touch. Thanks, in advance!

aargersi December 17, 2011

Hi Amanda! I may be interested as long as I don't get yelled at for not knowing stuff or not being on line at times!

Voted the Best Reply!

java&foam
java&foam December 17, 2011

i think that would be great for the people who enjoy helping out. Personally, I would also like to see the Food52 Hotline app expanded to the android platform...not all of us cooks use iPhones!

Greenstuff December 17, 2011

I might give it a try! One of the reasons I enjoy the hotline is that it so much reminds me of my real, non-virtual life, with family and friends calling, texting, and emailing to ask urgent questions.

Panfusine
Panfusine December 17, 2011

Sure, I'll definitely give it a try!

beyondcelery
beyondcelery December 17, 2011

I'd totally give it a try! I do love answering people's questions, especially when it's an urgent gluten-free need.

ATG117
ATG117 December 17, 2011

I'd be interested. I still miss seeing the unanswered question, and this would be a nice way to answer questions that need answering. I would want to change the email I have associated with Food52, however (and not sure how to do that), since it is not the email address I have on my phone or ipad.

Panfusine
Panfusine December 17, 2011

For all those of us who look forward to being notified about urgent questions, there must be others who would not like being sent mail, Would an 'opt in' system work, rather than a general mail sent to every food52er?

susan g December 17, 2011

I'd like to try it. I wonder about the person who is in the kitchen, needing our answers, urgently!

susan g December 19, 2011

I guess I wonder as I worry,,,
Areas of most affinity -- vegetarian, natural foods, health and diet information.... spent 1/2 my life as an omnivore so that's still an active area in my head, if not my heart!

hardlikearmour December 17, 2011

I would be open to it, but definitely think Panfusine's suggestion of an "opt in" or "opt out" system would be necessary.

mrslarkin December 17, 2011

sure, I'd be happy to help, too.

Hilarybee
Hilarybee December 17, 2011

I'd be happy to help, particularly with baking and jamming questions. I'm afraid I wouldn't be super useful with meat questions and some general cooking questions. But I'd still be able to lend a hand.

lorigoldsby
lorigoldsby December 18, 2011

I'm always happy to offer my humble opinion...but this strikes fear into my heart as much as when I answered my first foodpickle...sort of an "who am I to do this?" moment...but 2011 has been all about me stepping out of my box and bravely trying new things. I do love that my experiences count, it sometimes just makes me aware of shortcomings in my culinary education!

SKK December 18, 2011

Love to be part of this team!

The Spiced Life
The Spiced Life December 18, 2011

Sure!

nutcakes
nutcakes December 18, 2011

I can do it, and I keep odd hours sometimes. But if the answer falls outside of direct experience, it is okay to point someone to a source on the web or just better to skip answering? I'm pretty good at digging up answers when I don't know personally.

cookinginvictoria
cookinginvictoria December 18, 2011

Count me in too -- I'd be game to try and answer urgent hotline questions and questions that haven't gotten replies yet. I like answering cooking/baking questions, so long as the questions are within my culinary expertise. :)

Amanda Hesser December 19, 2011

Thanks everyone for your responses -- and willingness to help! To answer a few of your concerns. We will probably ask just 2 or 3 of you to try this out, so we can do the experiment and get basic feedback first.

We would never send these emails to everyone -- this would be a purely volunteer system, now and forever. There would be no pressure to answer questions you don't know the answers to. Our plan is definitely to filter questions -- baking, bread, cooking meat, grilling, preserves making, etc -- so no one is inundated and so people with special knowledge can really shine. But this will take time, probably a few months, to implement. We have a lot of ideas and plans for improving Hotline over the next few months, and we look forward to more feedback and help from you. The only way to make it great is for real Hotliners -- that's you -- to be involved. And yes to android java&foam! Thanks, will be in touch soon. If you don't hear from us, don't worry -- to start, we're going to ask just 2 or 3 people.

java&foam
java&foam December 19, 2011

great to hear about an android app in the works! maybe I just speak for myself, but I'd much rather help with fellow cooks' "foodpickles" when I have downtime instead of playing angry birds.

Shalini
Shalini December 19, 2011

I'd definitely be interested! Hope I can help answer!

Bevi
Bevi December 19, 2011

I would be willing to help - good at preserves, sides, and salads.

Panfusine
Panfusine December 19, 2011

Any thing pertaining to Indian food or vegetarian.. I'll be glad to pitch in...

Helen's All Night Diner
Helen's All Night Diner December 19, 2011

I'd be happy to help!

sdebrango December 19, 2011

I may as well add my name to the list would be happy to help also.

Chefbaltz
Chefbaltz December 19, 2011

definitely! would love to!

testkitchenette
testkitchenette December 19, 2011

I'd love to help also. My expertise lies in always delicious but healthful cooking/baking/chocolate in a plant based omnivore food focus. I also have much experience in vegan and allergen free baking.