🔕 🔔

What's the difference between Pfeffernusse and Gewurz Platzchen?

asked by NakedBeet about 7 years ago

Fff96a46 7810 4f5c a452 83604ac1e363  dsc03010

Pfeffernusse (Pepper Rocks) are spice cookies with black pepper (and sometimes finely chopped or ground nuts) added to the dough; the dough is rolled into balls, baked and coated with powdered sugar.

Gewurzplatzchen are cookies made with traditional "sweet" spices (no savory pepper) that are flattened with a glass dipped in granulated sugar.

E4b7660b f3f6 4873 bd6d 2130a16403fb  img 1088

betteirene, you rock!

Thanks, drbabs, but it's only because my dad was German and my Wisconsin aunts taught me some good kuchen. Groan. Sorry about that.

And I think it's Pepper Nuts, not Pepper Rocks.