What's the difference between Pfeffernusse and Gewurz Platzchen?

asked by NakedBeet almost 8 years ago

betteirene

Pfeffernusse (Pepper Rocks) are spice cookies with black pepper (and sometimes finely chopped or ground nuts) added to the dough; the dough is rolled into balls, baked and coated with powdered sugar.

Gewurzplatzchen are cookies made with traditional "sweet" spices (no savory pepper) that are flattened with a glass dipped in granulated sugar.

betteirene, you rock!

betteirene

Thanks, drbabs, but it's only because my dad was German and my Wisconsin aunts taught me some good kuchen. Groan. Sorry about that.

And I think it's Pepper Nuts, not Pepper Rocks.