Grant their wishes: 20% off $150+ with code GOGOGIFTS. Go, go, gifts » details
Enter code GOGOGIFTS at checkout. Offer valid through 11:59pm ET 12/11/16. U.S. only. Certain restrictions and exclusions apply.
🔕 🔔

What makes olive oils taste different from each other? Like is the Italian oil so different from the Greek? And why?

asked by a Whole Foods Market Customer over 5 years ago
401c5804 f611 451f a157 c693981d8eef  mad cow deux

Olives, as the French would say are "terroir"; as in where did they grow? what variety? etc. But good olive oils are often a blend of different olives, some are blended to be light, others to be fruity, others to be sharp. Large producers want consistancy from year to year, whereas with small producers it can vary wildly.

2269774e 64e7 47ec 8fb3 d6fb03cce199  debbykalk photo

As pierino explains, oils from small producers can have distinct personalities. You might want to use one of the national brands' blends for use in cooking, but when the oil needs to stand alone, such as for dipping, choose one that has a rich and memorable flavor. I think Spain is actually the biggest producer of olive oil.

8c848bd6 b952 44c4 93c3 bc8465a6fd74  phone 176

If you are going for the oil with the best quality, always get cold pressed extra virgin in a small dark container (no more than what you could use in a month or two). Opaque glass jars or metal containers are best. Heat, oxygen, and light will make your oil lose it's flavor over time. This is true with spices also.

Pierino hit the nail on the terroir.

Are there any particular brands of Italian,Spanish or Greek olive oil that you would recommend?

3a39d565 f2ac 4e29 93fa 39d3fe96e06c  ratatouille concept art 01

I'll put in another vote for the brand of California Olive Ranch! When shopping for quality EVOO, here are a few packaging cues to look for:

Darkened or opaque container
Harvest date (not Best By, which can be at least two years from packaging)
Labels with "varietal" olives or flavor profiles (hinting that they didn't randomly dump the cheapest olives in the press)

The easiest way to taste for freshness of the oil is to sip directly and wait a few moments for a peppery burn in the back of your throat (caused by the phenol "Oleocanthal", if you're curious).

Personally, I find the hype over different olive oils to be over-the-top, but I worked in the EVOO/balsamic vinegar business for short time. I'd memorize the different flavor profiles of various olive varietals and found this list handy: https://en.wikipedia.org...

Olives are an agricultural product with variations not incomparable to different kinds of apples. It can be fun to taste around those cute shops and see the different tasting notes. Fancy schmancy stuff. :)

Actually I would recommend California oils over Italian or Greek these days. California olive oils are about where California wines were back in the seventies. They have their personalities and qualities which vary from year to year. Although unlike wines olive oil doesn't age well. I can say this because I live in an olive producing region and I know some of the growers and bottlers.

Another important reason to choose California over most imports is that a couple of years back UC Davis---home to the experts on the topic---discovered that many Italian and Spanish oils were not in fact extra virgin but in fact had lesser grades blended in. There's nothing wrong with blending oil if you label it as such. For imports I would consider French oils first. For California I recommend California Olive Ranch. They are a large scale producer so their oils are easier to find. But the smaller producers in the Napa/Sonoma and Paso Robles regions of California are outstanding if you can source them. We Olive carries some. And if you want good oil stay away from Trader Joes or any bottle that has Rachel Ray's name on it.

F16adcb5 e667 4c56 8d37 2984714c46e9  open uri20131025 3491 1e6gbf8

Fear not - there are still many reputable brands of olive oils from Europe that are well-priced BUT you mustn't expect to pay bargain basement Wal-Mart prices for them. It's just that simple. My guides have been reputable retailers (OliveOilLovers comes to mind immediately), industry journalists like OliveOilTimes, and awards organizations like the New York International Olive Oil Competition (NYIOOC). Oils of excellent quality can be had online for a good price too, especially from specialty food retailers and even directly from producers.

Personally for general cooking use that doesn't require high heat, I use a 2.5 or 3 L tin of Zoe Extra Virgin Olive Oil from Spain because it's by far the best price at about $30-35 per tin, but the Costco in-house brand Kirkland Organic also sources excellent extra virgin oil. In the past I've also used Saloio and Vitor Guedes 3L tins when I could pick them up from Newark grocers.

For finishing oils - I absolutely love Estepa Virgen from Oleoestepa, a co-op in the town of Estepa in the Sevilla region - this is a blend of four olive varietals, two of which are somewhat unique to the the SW corner of Andalucia's olive triangle.

As Pontis Vieiru is another excellent oil made with 100% Manzanilla Cacereña olives, native to the community of Extremadura, one of the best delicate oils with the elusive banana and cucumber-ish top notes that only exist in the freshest pressings. As Pontis also powers their mill with biogas from waste olive kernels.

I also recommend any of the oils from Agraria Riva del Garda in Trentino, Italy. These are the highest latitude olive groves in the world - they use 100% Casaliva olives, a variety native to the Lake Garda Region and Lombardia. Absolutely fantastic pairing with beef and venison. Mine likes to go in aioli and on sandwiches too.

why is Trader Joes's bad?

And Lambchop you've had your head in the sand for as long. All you have to do is look at the studies. Yes, Spain is the world's largest producer of olive oils but up to 80% of what they are selling as extra virgin is adulterated with seed oils and even pomace oil which UC Davis describes "lamp oil" and unfit for human consumption. Italy has been just as bad. And according to a recent Forbes article Greek oil should be included as well. Part of the reason this is happening is competitive pressure from Tunisia. It's economics 101.
You can love TJ's for whatever reason but at least read the lit on the subject. US produced oils are simply more reliable and subject to penalties if they are not what they say they are.

The Trader Joe's stuff is inferior quality Spanish oil but it is inexpensive. Nothing like what you should expect from truly good olive oil. BTW the term EVOO was coined by Rachael Ray who knows nothing about Extra Virgin Olive Oil. When asked she said, "that just means it's unfiltered." Not even remotely close.

8f5038ed 8aca 4d33 aef7 8a0ce63adc40  img00019 20100929 0432 1

Pierno you been saying the same shit for years...move on brotha...

It's not Kristy. The TJ Spanish EVOO is a great value and delicious.

092efd1a f34b 461d 89b1 f3e76e0ce940  dsc 0028

Trader Joe's offers a very affordable and well-rated Greek extra virgin olive oil that I use daily. Here's a reference: http://www.truthinoliveoil...

Excellent article. Obviously the author has read the lit, and for what it's worth arbequina olives are being successfully grown in California. The growers I know sometimes use just arbequina but often they'll blend mission and one other cultivar. This still qualifies as extra virgin under it's actual definition.

PICUAL, ABERQUINA, HOJIBLANCA, son distintas variedades, de aceitunas que se producen en España . Lugar que mas aceite exporta a Italia y Grecia. Cada una tiene una acidez y sabor diferente, característico, tanto por la varead, como por el clima, como por las lluvias, las temperaturas de la zona, etc..
Pero algo hay indiscutible el mejo aceite es el español. Aceite virgen extra de oliva. Olé.

Perhaps a true American expert on olive oil (yes, Nancy Harmon Jenkins, I mean you) should weigh in on this burning question. I, for one, love Seka Hills oil from California and Tunisian oil from Moulin Majoub. I don't expect everyone else to like it But there are so very many variables in oil and unlike some here, a matter of individual taste, that I refuse to be didactic about it.

For the exact reasons you've described, paseo, I think it's important to hear from many different people on this hugely diverse topic!
I learn a lot from those who share their detailed knowledge and personal preferences. If my preferences (taste, cost, availability, etc.) line up with theirs, I favor their answers.

Don't like the writer's tone? Don't take them seriously. No need to quietly shame anybody, it's hard to interpret tone through text alone.

That's the second vote I've heard for Les Mouilns Mahjoub. My ears are pricked and I thank you.

38d74236 bb50 4fe8 90bd 438575cec343  vermont creamery pic

Everyone has made really good points on this thread.

Pierino made a good point about olive oil fraud, and that is a huge problem now, but my advice for buying olive oil that is real extra virgin olive oil is to find a trusted source.

There are amazing California olive oils (that are California Olive Oil Council certified extra virgin) like Sèka Hills, Pacific Sun and Bondolio. But there are also great extra virgin olive oils that are indeed still extra virgin coming from Spain and Italy - try to buy them from stores that have actual relationships with the producers and have olive oil programs like Market Hall Foods (www.markethallfoods.com). Great Italian picks: Tenuta di Capezzana, Tondo DOP and Crudo. As far as Spain, I second As Pontis and would add Castillo de Canena Picual to the list.