How do you know when you have added enough ice cold water to a pit crust dough?

What texture are you looking for? How dry or wet should the pie crust dough be? I'm making a simple recipe with just flour, butter, water and kosher salt.

asked by Cara,Smith over 6 years ago

Perfect, that's all you need. Add ice water while mixing on low speed. Stop when no visible dry ingredients remain in the bottom of the bowl.

I agree. I also add the water in the food processor, stopping just before the mixture forms a ball.

lapadia

Hi Cara Smith!
Thought I would sent you a link to the crust I have here on Food52 as well as on my website…my website has photos in different stages that could help AND using a couple tablespoons of vodka wouldn’t hurt, although my recipe is not written that way:
http://lapadia.wordpress...

Carebearcp

i have experimented with this a little and found that just when the dry ingredients start to clump together is what works best.... i don't use a food processor and it works just fine as long as the ingredients will stay together, but i have definitely had to add more water than the recipe says so just feel it out :)... also after the dough has been refrigerated (which most recipes call for) it will be a lot easier to work with

Nina Lombardo

The amount of water to hold the dough together depends on the humidity in the air. A moist humid say requires less water than a dry cold day. That has been my experience.

Also, I have experimented with using a mixer, a processor and a pastry cutter. I get the best results using the pastry cutter. A little elbow grease required, but the dough bakes up very flaky.