Grant their wishes: 20% off $150+ with code GOGOGIFTS. Go, go, gifts » details
Enter code GOGOGIFTS at checkout. Offer valid through 11:59pm ET 12/11/16. U.S. only. Certain restrictions and exclusions apply.
🔕 🔔

How do you know when you have added enough ice cold water to a pit crust dough?

What texture are you looking for? How dry or wet should the pie crust dough be? I'm making a simple recipe with just flour, butter, water and kosher salt.

asked by Cara,Smith almost 5 years ago

Perfect, that's all you need. Add ice water while mixing on low speed. Stop when no visible dry ingredients remain in the bottom of the bowl.

I agree. I also add the water in the food processor, stopping just before the mixture forms a ball.

9acfdd05 7247 4ff2 9a6c 9141e73a07c8  52 photo

Hi Cara Smith!
Thought I would sent you a link to the crust I have here on Food52 as well as on my website…my website has photos in different stages that could help AND using a couple tablespoons of vodka wouldn’t hurt, although my recipe is not written that way:
http://lapadia.wordpress...

i have experimented with this a little and found that just when the dry ingredients start to clump together is what works best.... i don't use a food processor and it works just fine as long as the ingredients will stay together, but i have definitely had to add more water than the recipe says so just feel it out :)... also after the dough has been refrigerated (which most recipes call for) it will be a lot easier to work with

F7ea5aff 4c02 43dd 835f 164969b072a8  yo face

The amount of water to hold the dough together depends on the humidity in the air. A moist humid say requires less water than a dry cold day. That has been my experience.

Also, I have experimented with using a mixer, a processor and a pastry cutter. I get the best results using the pastry cutter. A little elbow grease required, but the dough bakes up very flaky.