🔕 🔔

What to do with Matcha?

I have a tin of Matcha powder that I do not like to drink as tea. Any suggestions how to use it in other ways? maybe a poaching liquid or in baking? I like green tea but this is too intense for me as a drink.

asked by NYNCtg over 5 years ago

1097a5b5 1775 4eec a8ea 7421137b65dc  image 2 apples claire sullivan 2

Green tea ice cream or frozen yogurt is delicious. The matcha flavor can be subtle - and the creaminess mellows it out.

Matcha cupcakes! Quite good actually :)

green tea powder can be added really well with baked goods, such as muffins/cupcakes/mochi!

9ae16185 c926 440b aee2 e06da25bf123  mlt yogateau 1

This isn't food-related, but matcha makes a really great facial mask. Make a paste of 1/2 tsp of matcha and 1/2 tsp of warm water, spread on your face, wait 10 mn, rinse off!

Matcha mochi cake, for example: http://www.tinyurbankitchen...

Matcha macarons with a dark chocolate ganache filling! The sweet meringue nicely counters the bitter matcha.

one of my favorite sushi chefs used to thaw haagen das vanilla ice cream until it was soft enough to stir matcha powder into then refreeze it, it would form layers with a sort of frozen fluff on top, a creamy center and some of the heavier tea "grit" falling to the bottom. It was delicious.
It's also a really great ingredient for making green tea cupcakes. I use a basic sponge cake recipe (form my copy of the Joy of Cooking) and add about a tablespoon or two of matcha, no need to alter the recipe further (top with green tea or cherry flavored frosting).

Erm, Haagen-Dazs. I can't spell.