Saving a sourdough dough that is rising slowly or not at all?

I usually have this sourdough pretty well mastered, but the starter wasn't refreshed and i used it anyways. The starter bubbled overnight with new flour and water, and then I added more flour, salt and diastatic malt powder. 5 hours later, the dough isn't risen the way I'm used to seeing it. I gave it a few turns and it has nice texture and some bubbles, but no real lift. What to do?

asked by Raquelita over 6 years ago

Mr_Vittles

Turn the oven on the lowest setting (usually 150degreesF), allow it to come to temp., then turn it off, immediately. Set the dough inside, covered, and hopefully the heat will help your dough rise.

Raquelita

no, i don't think that's it at this point. but i also think it's ok, just slow. thanks for your help

Sourdough moves along more slowly than other doughs, as I'm sure you've figured out. I suspect the issue is the fact that the starter hadn't been fed consistently until you did so the night before. It sounds like its yeast population was a bit depleted. Be patient. Your dough will get there.

P.S. Don't be afraid to proof it overnight in the fridge.

allans

I've had this issue myself, I would try giving it another feeding.