🔕 🔔

how much salmon to purchase for 10 guests

I'll be preparing salmon baked on rock salt for 10 and am wonder how much salmon to purchase. Any advice?

asked by Fairmount_market over 5 years ago

Wholefoods user icon

Make sure all of your guests like salmon. I've been invited to dinner twice with salmon being served, and it's one of the few things I can't even force myself to eat.

5b7755f4 f84e 4738 be55 06b56e9c2553  dsc 0008 002
em-i-lis

Emily is a trusted source on General Cooking.

3 pounds should be sufficient as I assume you'll also be serving sides?? Yum!

I always plan on 6 ounces of fish per serving for a main course. I would probably buy 4 pounds, because should an extra guest materialize, you could wangle an extra serving .

84baef1b 1614 4c3d a895 e859c9d40bd1  chris in oslo

I'd also get 4 or maybe even 5 pounds, depending, of course, on how much else you're serving. When it comes to salmon, I always try to have leftovers and all-too-seldom actually get them.

1097a5b5 1775 4eec a8ea 7421137b65dc  image 2 apples claire sullivan 2

I'd err towards 5 lbs. - accounts for any unusable bits of a whole fish, plus I prefer having a bit too much than too little - I find it makes serving a 'communal' fish a little more relaxed. (With a filet pre-cut into individual portions, or salmon steaks, I'll be more precise and figure 6-8 oz/person.) Also, as Greenstuff said, leftover salmon is a great reward the next day.