Can cream be frozen?

I have an unopened plastic container of "heavy whipping cream" -- not homogenized, "lowest temperature pasteurized"-- that has a "best by" date of today. Can I freeze this for use later?

• Posted by: Randi
  • March 28, 2012

Hagerty
Hagerty March 28, 2012

You can freeze and use it later. It will separate in the freez

Hagerty
Hagerty March 28, 2012

... Continuing
It's will separate in the freezer but will be fine.

When I have heavy cream that I can't use right away I just shake it into butter and buttermilk to extend the life. I use way more butter than I do heavy cream.

Voted the Best Reply!

SKK March 28, 2012

One of the things I love about these questions is I get curious about things I had not thought of before and do a little research. Came across this from America's Test Kitchen
"According to the USDA, heavy cream can be frozen for up to four months but may not be suitable for all future applications. To experiment, we froze 1 cup portions of heavy cream in airtight containers for three days and let them thaw in the refrigerator. We found that when thawed, granular flecks were suspended in the liquid. Don’t be alarmed! Freezing can cause some of the cream’s homogenized microscopic fat globules (invisible to the naked eye) to merge into larger, very visible fat globules. Luckily, when heated for Alfredo sauce or caramel, no difference will be evident. However, frozen and dethawed heavy cream will not create billowy peaks and will produce lumps in whipped cream and other applications where fluffiness is paramount."

Esther Plume
Esther Plume March 28, 2012

My mum always used to whip leftover cream, and pipe it into dollops and open freeze them. Then when she wanted to, she'd decorate the tops of desserts with them. It defrosts quickly, and holds it shape.