potato starch

is potato flour the same as potato starch? can it be substituted in a recipe that calls for potato starch?

asked by montie over 6 years ago

beyondcelery

No, they're quite different. Potato starch can be fully substituted for tapioca starch (which is also called tapioca flour, I know it's confusing) and vice versa. Potato starch and corn starch are interchangeable as well, but that works better for quantities 1/4 cup or less. Potato flour is less starchy (go figure) and more gummy, so it cannot be used in place of potato starch. If you can't find potato starch, I'd use tapioca starch or arrowroot powder, or corn starch in a pinch.

I just bought a package labeled Potato Flour in a Chinese grocery, but I am sure that it is really the starch. The give-away is that if you press against the package, you feel/hear a squeaky-ness of the starch.