I am making a lemon cake that calls for Gf potato flour. I cannot find it. What can I use instead?

The recipe calls for a blend of flours 140 30% brown rice, 30% white rice, 15% tapioca starch, 15% potato starch, 5% potato flour, 3% xanthan gum and 2% powdered pectin.

asked by Colleen over 4 years ago

Colleen

Ignore the 140. That is a typo. Sorry.

Bevi

Hi Colleen, Trader Joe's GF AP Flour has whole grain brown rice flour, potato starch, rice flour and tapioca flour as ingredients, listed in that order. I am not sure if you want to try the product or if a TJ's is near you, but I have baked with this flour and my GF friends have said they are happy with the result.

Interesting discussion here that could help
http://community.kingarthurflour.com/content/substitute-potato-flour-bread

nutcakes

I'd probably try cornstarch or increase the tapioca starch.

In this case, Colleen is asking for a replacement for potato flour, not potato starch, which is also included on her ingredient list. What I took away from the King Arthur Flour discussion i linked to above is that potato flour helps keep baked goods moist--so one option is to leave it out and slightly up the liquid.