🔕 🔔

I am making a lemon cake that calls for Gf potato flour. I cannot find it. What can I use instead?

The recipe calls for a blend of flours 140 30% brown rice, 30% white rice, 15% tapioca starch, 15% potato starch, 5% potato flour, 3% xanthan gum and 2% powdered pectin.

asked by Colleen over 3 years ago

Ignore the 140. That is a typo. Sorry.

Bb911bcd 2446 4d8f 848f cdc2090e999a  leaf cake

Hi Colleen, Trader Joe's GF AP Flour has whole grain brown rice flour, potato starch, rice flour and tapioca flour as ingredients, listed in that order. I am not sure if you want to try the product or if a TJ's is near you, but I have baked with this flour and my GF friends have said they are happy with the result.

84baef1b 1614 4c3d a895 e859c9d40bd1  chris in oslo

Interesting discussion here that could help
http://community.kingarthurflour...

I'd probably try cornstarch or increase the tapioca starch.

In this case, Colleen is asking for a replacement for potato flour, not potato starch, which is also included on her ingredient list. What I took away from the King Arthur Flour discussion i linked to above is that potato flour helps keep baked goods moist--so one option is to leave it out and slightly up the liquid.