what to use in place of ricotta salata

what can I use in place of ricotta salata in a dough

asked by peach49 over 6 years ago

a Whole Foods Market Customer

If you can find Queso Fresco, it'd be a good substitute too.

alextillotson

Feta is salty, but so is ricotta salata, especially if you're using a traditional one made with sheep's milk. I work in the Specialty Foods department at Whole Foods (with all the fun cheeses) so I get questions like this all the time. Trust me, if you can't find the ricotta salata, feta will work the best. Queso fresco is a good option too. The texture of cottage cheese is completely different than ricotta salata. It will most likely make your dough too wet and sticky, because ricotta salata is a very dry, crumbly cheese, not a wet cheese with large curds like cottage cheese.

If you are concerned about the levels of salt in the dough and the recipe calls for salt additionally, I would add the cheese first, and avoid adding any extra salt to the dough itself. You can always taste it and if it's not salty enough for your preference, add a bit of salt in at the end, or sprinkle it on top. What kind of dough is it, exactly?

ATG117

Agree with alextillotson! I was going to suggest feta in brine, drained on paper towels for a bit.