Bolognese sauce

Cooking bolognese the day before. How cool does it have to be before refrigerating?

asked by Food odyssea over 6 years ago

You want to cool down any food as quickly as possible to avoid food borne illnesses. When you are done cooking it, spread it out in a baking dish(es) because it will cool faster that way. Put it in the refrigerator UNCOVERED and when cool store in however you choose, covered. When I am in a bind for time, I also set the containers on ice.

bigpan

Transfer from cooking pot to a cold pot, let sit until room temp then put in refrigerator. It will taste much better the next day, bring up to a slow simmer and serve.
If in a big hurry then put the pot in an ice bath. Best to take your time and enjoy a glass of wine that will be left over from making the sauce!

I had to get a food handler's card to help out at my brother-in-laws barbecue restaurant because he was in a bind. US food safety specifically says do not let food sit out until reaching room temp, but to follow the procedure I outlined. Just sharing what the science says.