🔕 🔔

Bolognese sauce

Cooking bolognese the day before. How cool does it have to be before refrigerating?

asked by Food odyssea almost 5 years ago
8a5161fb 3215 4036 ad80 9f60a53189da  buddhacat

You want to cool down any food as quickly as possible to avoid food borne illnesses. When you are done cooking it, spread it out in a baking dish(es) because it will cool faster that way. Put it in the refrigerator UNCOVERED and when cool store in however you choose, covered. When I am in a bind for time, I also set the containers on ice.

516f887e 3787 460a bf21 d20ef4195109  bigpan

Transfer from cooking pot to a cold pot, let sit until room temp then put in refrigerator. It will taste much better the next day, bring up to a slow simmer and serve.
If in a big hurry then put the pot in an ice bath. Best to take your time and enjoy a glass of wine that will be left over from making the sauce!

I had to get a food handler's card to help out at my brother-in-laws barbecue restaurant because he was in a bind. US food safety specifically says do not let food sit out until reaching room temp, but to follow the procedure I outlined. Just sharing what the science says.