Kochukaru substitution?

Does anyone have a good kochukaru (Korean chili powder) substitution?

Kristen W. is a trusted home cook.

babytiger

Cayenne

Kristen W.
Kristen W.

Kristen W. is a trusted home cook.

Thanks!

I'm crazy about Korean cuisine but it can be challenging to find the ingredients. Yes, cayenne or even red pepper flakes. You might look at the HMart website---a chain of Korean supermarkets---and possibly you can buy it online. But this is one of those easily substitutable ingredients.

Kristen W.
Kristen W.

Kristen W. is a trusted home cook.

Great, thanks.

The ground chile pepper that I bought at H Mart surprised me with its mildness. Perhaps there are different types?

nutcakes

I live near an HMart and can send you some if you like.

Kristen W.
Kristen W.

Kristen W. is a trusted home cook.

Very kind of you to offer! There's a Ranch 99 about a half-hour from me where I think I could probably find it -- I just didn't have time to run out there before making the meal I was planning. Thanks for the offer, though!

nutcakes

Care to share what you're making? I'm into Korean food lately but have only made premarinated meats and Kimchi and pork belly jjigae (soup).

Kristen W.
Kristen W.

Kristen W. is a trusted home cook.

I'm a total novice with Korean food and was trying bulgogi for the first time with flat steak. I came across kochukaru when I was researching sides to go with it and found a scallion salad that called for it. Since I didn't get the response to my query in time (my fault since I didn't mark it "urgent"), I just went with some quick-pickled radish and cucumber with lettuce leaves and rice (next time I'll plan ahead in time to make kimchi).

Dunno how authentic my meal was, but I thought it was tasty!

BoulderGalinTokyo

And isn't all that really matters, you made it well and it was tasty.

taxidog

You could try Japanese togarashi.