🔕 🔔

Kochukaru substitution?

Does anyone have a good kochukaru (Korean chili powder) substitution?

Kristen W. is a trusted home cook.

3162c11b e070 4795 95d1 fd9492a6b582  lulusleep

Cayenne

F83774ec c18a 46a4 8dff 00877f15aed6  image
Kristen W.

Kristen W. is a trusted home cook.

Thanks!

I'm crazy about Korean cuisine but it can be challenging to find the ingredients. Yes, cayenne or even red pepper flakes. You might look at the HMart website---a chain of Korean supermarkets---and possibly you can buy it online. But this is one of those easily substitutable ingredients.

Kristen W.

Kristen W. is a trusted home cook.

Great, thanks.

C0d1f1de 4134 43ba 9510 1d7a8caa31f3  scan0004

The ground chile pepper that I bought at H Mart surprised me with its mildness. Perhaps there are different types?

I live near an HMart and can send you some if you like.

Kristen W.

Kristen W. is a trusted home cook.

Very kind of you to offer! There's a Ranch 99 about a half-hour from me where I think I could probably find it -- I just didn't have time to run out there before making the meal I was planning. Thanks for the offer, though!

Care to share what you're making? I'm into Korean food lately but have only made premarinated meats and Kimchi and pork belly jjigae (soup).

Kristen W.

Kristen W. is a trusted home cook.

I'm a total novice with Korean food and was trying bulgogi for the first time with flat steak. I came across kochukaru when I was researching sides to go with it and found a scallion salad that called for it. Since I didn't get the response to my query in time (my fault since I didn't mark it "urgent"), I just went with some quick-pickled radish and cucumber with lettuce leaves and rice (next time I'll plan ahead in time to make kimchi).

Dunno how authentic my meal was, but I thought it was tasty!

C1aa93d7 c7a4 4560 aa6d 6dca74cc98ca  smokin tokyo

And isn't all that really matters, you made it well and it was tasty.

You could try Japanese togarashi.