🔕 🔔

What is a good substitute for cayenne?

I just ran out of cayenne in my pantry. I do, however, have chipotle, New Mexican, ancho, Korean, chili flakes, whole chili peppers. Would any of these work in jambalaya? Or, should I just add heat via Crystal hot sauce?

asked by Darlene Carrigan about 4 years ago

84e04bee 8fc8 4bdc 8199 701c1af83294  image

Crystal is a cayenne-based sauce; that, plus maybe a little but of the chipotle or adobo for some smokiness, would be great in jambalaya.

A028427c 7b8b 4d1e a589 76ec9811f6fd  photo

Chili flakes would work, too (different texture, though, but that shouldn't assert itself too much in a jambalaya)

68de587a 1415 4682 863f 6f7a5c5c1744  dsc 0013
Trena Heinrich

Trena is a trusted source on general cooking.

I typically use fresh chili peppers this time of year in recipes like jambalaya in lieu of cayenne pepper. Just be careful not to use to many as the heat can be unpredictable.

From your pantry, and for jambalaya, I would say that the New Mexican would be the best match with Crystal.

Thanks for all suggestions. After doing quick comparison sniff test of the empty cayenne container, and all the other peppers, I did end up using the Cyrstal and New Mexican combo. Jambalaya was delicious.

Cf6d8214 ab64 4b75 a504 57fd4489cc30  014

I would go for chipotle for sure.