What is a good substitute for cayenne?

I just ran out of cayenne in my pantry. I do, however, have chipotle, New Mexican, ancho, Korean, chili flakes, whole chili peppers. Would any of these work in jambalaya? Or, should I just add heat via Crystal hot sauce?

asked by Darlene Carrigan over 5 years ago

Meaghan F

Crystal is a cayenne-based sauce; that, plus maybe a little but of the chipotle or adobo for some smokiness, would be great in jambalaya.

Kate

Chili flakes would work, too (different texture, though, but that shouldn't assert itself too much in a jambalaya)

Trena Heinrich
Trena Heinrich

Trena is a trusted source on general cooking.

I typically use fresh chili peppers this time of year in recipes like jambalaya in lieu of cayenne pepper. Just be careful not to use to many as the heat can be unpredictable.

From your pantry, and for jambalaya, I would say that the New Mexican would be the best match with Crystal.

Darlene Carrigan

Thanks for all suggestions. After doing quick comparison sniff test of the empty cayenne container, and all the other peppers, I did end up using the Cyrstal and New Mexican combo. Jambalaya was delicious.

AniQuadros

I would go for chipotle for sure.