🔕 🔔

What is the difference between kosher and sea salt and can I use sea if it calls fir kosher..?

asked by a Whole Foods Market Customer over 5 years ago

You can substitute one for the other. I prefer cooking with kosher salt, however.

Here's a link I found explaining the differences: http://www.foodnetwork...

You can use one for the other but if you are using Kosher insead of sea salt or regular sal, use almost twice as much. If you are using sea salt use same amount as table salt. If you are using sea salt instead of koher salt cut it in 1/2 or your dish will be too salty, they don't measure the same.

Bac35f8c 0352 46fe 95e3 57de4b652617  p1291120

The other thing to keep in mind is iodine -- both table salt and sea salt contain it; kosher salt usually doesn't. So if your recipe calls for kosher salt due to an iodine restriction (common for folks prior to some specific testing related to thyroid cancer) DON'T substitute. Iodine is also a problem in pickling/canning (it can discolor the results), so if the recipe is for pickling/canning, use ONLY kosher salt or pickling salt. And, of course, if the purpose is to keep the recipe kosher, then use kosher salt.

If none of the above applies, go ahead and substitute.

Hope that helps!

A9f88177 5a41 4b63 8669 9e72eb277c1a  waffle3

The "kosher" in "kosher salt" relates to, and originated from, its use in the process of koshering meat. The canister of Morton table salt in my pantry is also kosher as is the French sea salt.

ChefOno has this one right. Kosher salt doesn't have to be blessed by a rabbi. It's use is in the process of koshering. And it is a mined salt as opposed to a harvested sea salt. Personally I think the latter tastes better but they are interchangeable in most kitchen uses.

Just this one??? ;-)

Okay - stand corrected on the use of kosher salt in keeping food kosher -- maintain my ground on the iodine issues (learned the pickling one the hard way, when I used salt with iodine and turned my pickled garlic blue; living the thyroid one right now with a dear friend).

Iodine can also be an issue to those of us who can taste it in the salt.

C0d1f1de 4134 43ba 9510 1d7a8caa31f3  scan0004

There are two commonly available brands of kosher salt, Morton's and Diamond. The 2:1 ratio of kosher:sea salt only applies to Diamond.

Isn't Morton 1.5 to 1 or something? Don't use it myself, I much prefer the larger crystals.