🔕 🔔

How long is butter in the fridge good for?

asked by chef Andy over 5 years ago

783b5334 3415 40c6 8994 2245307bc4b2  img 0036

I think as long as it tastes good and smells good, it's fine.

A9f88177 5a41 4b63 8669 9e72eb277c1a  waffle3

Depends. Salted or unsalted? Wrapped or unwrapped? Wrapped in paper or wrapped in foil?

Best to freeze what you're not going to need for a while.

Good answer ChefOno! I freeze all my butter except for a .lb, but what does it matter if it's wrapped in paper or foil, or is salted or unsalted? Just curious.

I think your answer was correct, I was just expanding a little. It's difficult to put an accurate number on the issue.

Salt acts as a preservative, that's its main purpose (taste augmentation is secondary).

Foil wrappers prevent oxygen from reaching butter better than paper thus extending its useful life. They also help it from picking up odd flavors which it may otherwise do.

Keep in the butter saver section/drawer of your fridge and it will last for 4 weeks or more. Might not taste as fresh as new but won't go "bad"