🔕 🔔

Refresh my memory - how long do you boil potatoes for mashed potatoes? Thanks!

asked by Wellington Wizard over 5 years ago

0f493ab9 068f 4498 ba2c 95c992214d52  sit2

Boil in salted water until a fork inserts easily into the potato. Drain and let the some of the moisture escape. Then add butter, cream and mash with a fork (or potato masher).

As for potato ricers, I never use them unless I'm making ultra smooth potatoes for piping. I like a bit of texture to my mashed potatoes.

516f887e 3787 460a bf21 d20ef4195109  bigpan

Similar to Sam's method, a local chef told me to simply stick a paring knife into a piece of potato, gently lift it up and note how easy the piece slides off back into the pot. If it does not slide off- cook longer. If it slides off easy - done.
If serving with a beef dish, try adding a bit of horseradish, or Stilton if you prefer cheese. Otherwise you can never fail with butter.

Thanks for the responses!! I added butter (of course!), cream cheese, splash of heavy cream, s