A question about a recipe: brown butter griddlecakes with wild blueberries

21d8a513 5ee6 4f0d bb28 105bdffa4915  20110718 031039 2edf91589bad4664a197daf3998e6cd6 7

I have a question about the recipe "brown butter griddlecakes with wild blueberries" from parttimefarm.
Is there a substitute for the cane sugar?
Why use unsalted butter in a recipe?

asked by jeanmarie46 over 6 years ago

Melusine

Unsalted butter lets the cook control the saltiness of the food, since there is no industry standard for the amount of salt in butter -- it varies from brand to brand. As for the sugar, the unbleached cane sugar is closer to a natural state. Regular sugar won't replicate the exact flavor, but will be fine in the recipe.

You could put 1/2 to 1 tablespoon of brown sugar in the bottom of the 1/4th cup before adding granulated sugar to better mimic the flavor of the unwashed cane sugar.