ice cream

when making an ice cream with fruit juice, what is the proper way to incorporate the juice without having a crystally end product? Im thinking of make a strong reduction and adding to my custard.

drbabs May 1, 2012

That's a good idea. Also, use heavy cream (more fat than in milk or half and half), let your mixture get very cold before you run it through your ice cream freezer, and add about an ounce of alcohol to the mixture. All those will help prevent crystal formation.

ChefJune May 1, 2012

drbabs has the right idea here. I was going to say use cream instead of milk in the recipe.

ChefOno
ChefOno May 1, 2012

Ditto

ChefOno
ChefOno May 1, 2012

I mean ditto to drbabs. Well, both really.

meulenbeld
meulenbeld May 1, 2012

The thing to do is to use 40% of suger to your total volume. If you want your ice cream less sweet, use more fat (cream, butter), dry ingredients (milk powder) or for instance gelatine. Reducing your fruit coulis enhances taste and indeed The brede smout of sigaret.

meulenbeld
meulenbeld May 1, 2012

Sorry. Auto correction. Reducing does indeed mean you can use less suger.