🔕 🔔

The definitive way to keep pesto green?

asked by Carole Magness over 5 years ago

Before you place it in the refrigerator, pour olive oil over it so that you have a layer of olive oil over the pesto. Then place saran wrap over it, pushing the saran down so that it's touching the oil. Finally, cover it. I'd suggest using an airtight container.

120fa86a 7a24 4cc0 8ee1 a8d1ab14c725  me in munich with fish

Blanching the basil works well, and covering the pesto in olive oil is great, too. But another trick I've discovered (and I doubt I'm the first) is that, if you use other greens instead of basil (I especially love to do this with arugula), the pesto will stay a pretty green. Of course, it won't taste like traditional basil, but it's mighty good nonetheless.

79e832e7 7554 4b74 b9bb edd6540d1515  fullsizeoutput 1ba7

Another good thing to do is add a little baby spinach to the basil. It has a neutral flavor considering all the other dominant players in pesto, so it doesn't affect the final product much except for keeping it a lovely green color

C0d1f1de 4134 43ba 9510 1d7a8caa31f3  scan0004

Another possibility to consider -- some nuts can discolor foods. Check that out.