🔕 🔔

how to make basil pesto?

how do you make basil pesto?

asked by dede about 6 years ago

39c04017 7e7e 43b2 9344 e529de61a1bd  kandm
Kristy Mucci

Kristy is an expert at making things pretty and a former Associate Editor of Food52.

Here's a video of Amanda and Merrill making pesto

http://www.food52.com/blog...

8a5161fb 3215 4036 ad80 9f60a53189da  buddhacat

Here is a simple recipe from Patricia Wells I love
4 plump fresh garlic cloves
sea salt to taste
2 cups loosely packed fresh basil leaves and flowers
1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
1/2 cup Italian Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese

In the food processor place the garlic, slat and basil and process to paste. Add the oil and process again. Transfer to bowl, taste for seasoning.

What I like about this recipe there is no call for pine nuts - to me they don't add much flavor. When I have walnuts I throw them in.

783b5334 3415 40c6 8994 2245307bc4b2  img 0036

Check out the link below from Saveur - it's all about Pesto!

http://www.huffingtonpost...

38166ed5 d6c6 4431 b964 cbd8d4d747e6  pasta on fork 001

SSK's recipe has all the essential ingredients. The only thing I'd add is a handful of pine nuts.

Be53e5fa f5fe 4601 8d5e 7d9c096a5aed  nog
Niknud

Rachael is a trusted home cook.

I agree with SSK that plain pinenuts offer an underwhelming flavor addition to basil pesto, but if you toast them first it makes all the difference. I know a lot of people toast them in the oven but I inevitably burn them that way and then find myself muttering obscenities under my breath (which my children hear and then repeat to my mother). I've found using a dry skillet over medium heat and watched like a hawk while giving the occasional shake allows you to get perfectly golden pine nuts that add the traditional texture with a bit of a boosted flavor.

The pesto at Bonefish Grill has this combo: basil, fresh oregano, toasted pine nuts, garlic, red pepper flakes, kalamata olives, Parmesan cheese, olive oil, salt and pepper.

You may want to try a basic recipe like SKK's above and add ingredients that appeal to you to create your own yummy recipe. :)