🔕 🔔

Does anyone have a good recipe for whole grain sourdough bread?

I just got some starter from friends and I am looking for a good way to use it

asked by chez_mere over 5 years ago

8f5038ed 8aca 4d33 aef7 8a0ce63adc40  img00019 20100929 0432 1

Hi, since no baker answered, I did a search on the site and found this: http://www.food52.com/recipes...

The first thing you should do is feed it so you'll have enough to build a loaf of bread, while also having enough left over to keep the starter going. Estimate about how much you have, then feed it with enough flour and water to double it. The ratio of flour to water should be 60% flour to 40% water. That's the ratio with which you'll feed it every time you use it. Stir it all up and let sit at room temp until very actively bubbling, then refrigerate. Plan to use it to build a bread within 48 hours. Also plan to feed your starter every 3 or 4 days whether you use it or not. There was a good thread about this a few days ago: http://www.food52.com/hotline... An excellent resource for sourdough baking is Peter Reinhart's book The Bread Baker's Apprentice.

79e832e7 7554 4b74 b9bb edd6540d1515  fullsizeoutput 1ba7

Thanks for the help. I will start feeding it more often. My friend said every 2 weeks is okay, but obviously it is a little needier than that.

120fa86a 7a24 4cc0 8ee1 a8d1ab14c725  me in munich with fish

I also love Tartine Bread. I have to admit I was intimidated by sourdough bread baking until I read this book. Now, however, I have a sourdough starter that's over a year old and going strong, and I bake a batch of bread once a week. It's transformative.