🔕 🔔

How do you pick a good watermelon?

asked by a Whole Foods Market Customer over 5 years ago

5898788c 7208 4473 a88f a3f4bbe64a0b  img 1339

If the spot that was resting on the ground is too pretty and presentable, the watermelon has not been sitting on the dirt too long and thus is not very ripe. Pick one whose underbelly spot shows its age. I have not had much luck with tapping or squeezing.

A9f88177 5a41 4b63 8669 9e72eb277c1a  waffle3

The most reliable method requires a refractometer to test the field before harvest although I've seen a less expensive tool called a sledgeomatic demonstrated with very impressive results.

The "Melon Meter" app seems to work well according to friends, but I'm not quite capable of whipping out my iPad and thumping melons for it to analyze in public.

9fe0c12c e20f 4669 bb88 2c31ee17d5e2  french river

knock - it should sound hollow.

Look for sugar spots - brown spots and veins. This is the trick my grandpa uses, and he always has the sweetest watermelons!!