🔕 🔔

Can you recommend a mandoline?

I'm looking to buy my first mandoline and would appreciate suggestions. I'm a home cook who would probably use it a couple of times a week.
As with all cooking tools, there seems to be a huge price range. Do you feel there's any need to spend a bit more or will the cheaper ones do? Thanks!

asked by Sarah G over 5 years ago

I just bought the all-metal Oxo version a few days ago, and an urgent care doctor was a guest for dinner. She cringed at the very word "mandoline", since she sees lots of sliced finger tips. Safety is critical, obviously. The Oxo has a seriously good food gripper -- check Cook's Illustrated for other recommendations.

07825364 abc5 42f5 bd7f f2a77f00dff0  20090907 jackson 8

Agree with Melusine. I have had my Oxo mandoline for about 5 years, and I love it. It is still as sharp as when I bought it. I use the food gripper even if I don't think I need it!

Wholefoods user icon

As a professional chef, I have preferrences in two categories. For larger jobs, julienne cuts and waffle cuts, I recommend the Bron French mandiline. It's made of durable stainless and is designed to stand on its own, and while it costs more ($150-ish), you'll only need one- forever. For smaller jobs and portability, I suggest a Benriner Japanese mando. They're super sharp and come in two different widths, and they also come with a safety gripper. They run about 30-50 bucks and the blade can be removed for sharpening.

A9f88177 5a41 4b63 8669 9e72eb277c1a  waffle3

At home I have a plastic version from Oxo which came with an assortment of blades, no complaints. Most people find a V-blade easier to work with than a straight blade so that's something to consider.

516f887e 3787 460a bf21 d20ef4195109  bigpan

I have the Japanese benriner and although not as sexy looking as the stainless steel ones with a stand, the final sliced product is the same.
I took the money I saved and bought some nice wine!

Wholefoods user icon

Cook's Illustrated rated the Oxo Good Grips V-Blade Slicer as their winner at $50. They rated the Kyocera Adjustable Ceramic Mandoline Slicer as their Best Buy at $27. The Oxo all-metal model was down-rated because the straight blade struggled with slicing tomatoes.