I need to hard boil 6 dozen eggs tonight for a class party tomorrow. What's the best way to do a lot of eggs at once?

asked by MaggieMMW about 6 years ago

Check out this past hotline link about the baking method: http://www.food52.com/hotline...

a Whole Foods Market Customer

I would do 2 dozen eggs in three pots.

SeaJambon

Or one really big pot. Truly. We do a homeless shelter lunch periodically and boil six dozen eggs in one really large pot all at once (the homeless really appreciate hardboiled eggs as they are portable and can be taken with them for a later snack). Takes awhile to get the water boiling, and make sure the eggs are reasonably tightly packed so they don't all bang against each other. Boil gently and you're good to go.

sarah k.

I love boiled eggs, so I've experimented with all the ways. I like the oven method for its ability to make lots at a time, but they've been hard to peel. I've gone back to the traditional way of gently lowering room-temp eggs into boiling water, along with a splash of vinegar and a pinch of salt, then boiling for 8-10 minutes. They're so much easier to peel. If you have a large pot, do as many as you can at once. You can even boil several smaller pots of water, then pour them into the one, and this might be quicker.
Or just do a few batches? You don't need to boil a new pot of water each time, so it only adds 10 minutes per batch.

Six dozen? You and two neighbors with big pots!